8/24/2014

Launch

Proverbs 22:6 encourages us, “Train up a child in the way he should go;
 even when he is old he will not depart from it.”

So far I’ve focused most of my parenting attention on the first half of the sentence. Now, with the launch of my second child to college (738 miles away), I am trusting on the second part.

Early in my life, I understood “train up a child” to mean, “teach them how to live.” Later, I understood “in the way he (or she) should go” to mean, “guide their personal discovery of their gifts.”

I trust that both have occurred, and will continue to occur as my children grow. I am now learning new ways to trust God when my direct influence on my sons is restricted by distance. God is never restricted. Trusting God never stops.

My largest challenge is trusting God when it appears that my children are departing from the  path he set before them. The space between my understanding of God’s plan for my children’s lives, and his actual plan for their lives can be deep and wide. I don’t want them to suffer in anyway, ever. But I have learned that suffering often leads to a closer relationship with God, and ultimately, a return to God’s path.

So, I will continue to pray for the success of my children, both at home, and away. I will trust God’s protection over them always. I am forever thankful for a wonderful loving Father.


No comments:

Post a Comment